There is approximately $55 million available through private scholarships, through foundations, the local rotary clubs and major corporations such as Wal-Mart and Coca Cola.
Where to Apply for Private Scholarships
- FastWeb www.fastweb.com
- National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) www.nationalmerit.org
- Unigo www.unigo.com/scholarships
- Cappex www.cappex.com
- CareerOneStop www.careeronestop.org
- Scholarships.com www.scholarships.com
Helpful Hints for Private Scholarships:
- To find scholarships for college freshmen start freshmen year in high school. Many deadlines are due junior year in high school.
- The closer the scholarship matches the student the more likely he or she is a strong candidate
- Some scholarships are not coded correctly and won’t come up on over specific search requests
- Some colleges will reduce their free scholarship money if a student receives a private scholarship